The Fifty-Nine Story Crisis
- Introduce the history behind the Citicorp tower in Manhattan, its design,
and the events that lead to major refurbishing of the building in 1978. .
- Describe the major protagonists in the 1978 affairs, review their actions,
and analyze them in light of engineering Codes of Ethics, legal requirements,
and moral theory.
- Review Joe Morgenstern's account of the affair in the "New Yorker" and
discuss issues that were omitted or under-emphasized in his narrative.
- An assignment of the Joe Morgenstern article to the students; students
prepare a list of protagonists, divide the timeline to "scenes", and define
the major event within each scene.
- A lecture discussing the 1978 Citicorp tower affair.
- An assignment on
the ethical questions and the alternative courses of action available to
participants in the affair.
- Lecture for discussion (2 hours).