DL Workshop Outline|
DL Workshop Summary
Classroom-based Courses vs Distance Learning Courses
- Good Practice is Good Practice; it doesn't depend on the delivery
- Learning goals are the same even though the environment is different.
- Learning tools are selected to fit the environment.
Structured Distance Learning Course Syllabus
- The word syllabus comes originally from the Greek word syttyba
which was a piece of parchment used as a label. In Latin the word was
sittybas which meant a list.
- A distance learning syllabus is a descriptive wrapper (label) that serves
as the organizer for the course.
- It is the 'road map' that gives context to the content.
- Learning units are structured into an outline format having several
levels. The learning content is developed exclusively in the lowest level of
- There are two general ways to organize a course web site. One is by
resource type and the other is by topical outline.
- Resource type organization is easier for the instructor to maintain.
- Topical outline is more consistent with a hierarchical distance learning
- You need both. One to facilitate maintenance and the other to facilitate
Learning Unit Creation
- Keep your learning units short. Size them to cover the equivalent of 20
minutes of lecture time.
- Create a storyboard for the learning unit. This visual design tool will
help put each part of the learning unit into proper perspective.
- Page titles are very important. Page titles must be unique. The page title
is the item displayed by a browser in it's bookmark/favorites function.
- Provide links to communication tools (discussion board & email) on
each page of the learning unit.
- Tell the student what they need to do in each learning unit to attain an
adequate understanding of that micro-topic. This implies that there are
learning objectives at the micro-topic level.
- Provide some form of assessment with each learning unit. The student needs
to know whether he/she is progressing in a satisfactory manner.
- Consolidate learning units with a navigation structure that matches the
topical outline of the course.
- Don't make too many levels in the navigation structure. Three outline
levels should give you small enough units to fit the 20 minute
recommendation without burdening the student with excessive linking.
- A course web site is the ideal place to publish course administration
- Remember to include: Textbook List, Grading Policy, Office Hours, Course
Schedule, Term Projects, Case Studies, etc.
- Package everything within the context of the distance learning syllabus as
presented above. The syllabus is the 'front-end' to the course.