Summary of Desired Topics for Panel I
Characteristics of Freshman and Transfer
- How best to classify student characteristics of
three general areas: technical skills, maturity level, and
- Which characteristics cause a student to succeed
or fail in engineering?
- What characteristics cause a top student to drop
out of engineering?
- How can adverse characteristics be identified,
addressed, and possibly changed?
- How to meet the wide range of skill level
characteristics so that the scholar is challenged while the promising
provisional student is not “scared away”.
- How to help the student make the transition in
maturity from a high school to university environment so that they learn
responsibility for their education.
- How to help the student build a network of
friends and faculty to enhance their social skills.
- How to accommodate the special characteristics
of the transfer and non-traditional student.