Purposes and Goals
Our goals in this course were to help students:
- The similarities and differences between humanistic and social sciences approaches to the urban landscape.
- Design principles that create effective city spaces.
- The role (and need for) art and nature in the city.
- Urban space in context - as part of a largest neighborhood, in connection to its past, in relation to its uses and possibilities.
- The connection of urban infrastructure to social issues in urban design.
- Methodological and conceptual approaches to the evaluation of urban spaces that lead to a meaningful understanding of how good city spaces are created.