181 Autumn Quarter 2000
Project – Bicycle Labs
#1: Project Foundations
Choose a team name and logo to represent your
- Creativity counts: Catch the attention of your
- Choose colors that will be effective in the
media and also copy well on a black and white copier.
- Create a name and logo that are easy to
remember, unique and represent your product well.
- A good way to test “uniqueness” is to search for
your company name on the Internet.
- Develop a cover sheet for your company reports
Develop a Team Working Agreement
- Read Chapters 1,2, & 3 from “Project
Management and Teamwork,” by Karl Smith before writing your agreement.
- Outline the expected behavior and
responsibilities of each team member.
- Include attendance, punctuality, creation of a
positive environment, getting things done on time, etc…
- As part of your agreement, cite evidence from
the Smith reading to indicate how this material influenced your agreement.
- Sample Statements:
All members will attend all
meetings. All members will be on
time. Team member’s ideas will be
valued. Team members will share the
workload evenly and will get assignments done on time with no excuses. Team
members will bring a positive attitude to meetings.
Develop a Working Schedule for the Next Few
- Read Chapter 6 from “Project Management and
Teamwork,” by Karl Smith for more information about developing a working
- Choose to use either the “Work Breakdown
Structure” or the “Critical Path Method,” as a base for creating a
schedule. You will need to submit
this model with your schedule.
- Include time to do research in the library and
on the web about your product and other related products.
- Include information on materials, the material
characteristics, design, manufacturing, and assembly processes as well as
time to determine the cost of manufacturing your product.
- Include the time it will take to prepare the
oral presentation and the visual aids for the presentation.
- Use Microsoft Excel as a task manager to show
the tasks, who is assigned to each task, when that task will begin and
end, and the actual amount of time it took to complete each task.
Assignment #1: (Submit at Bike Lab 2)
- Cover page w/ team name & logo design
- Team working agreement (include citations)
- Proposed schedule (Include your Work Breakdown
Structure or Critical Path Method as well as one Excel sheet showing the
information listed above)
- 3-4 pages total