To teach concepts of engineering design and teamwork using K'nex pieces.
* Handouts for each girl entitled "The Design Process"
* 9 Intermediate K'Nex kits which include the following pieces:
Connectors Number Beige 15 Light Gray 15 Green 30 Red 25 White 50 Gray 30 Yellow 50 Blue 50 Purple 50 Orange 40 Rods Number Black/Gray 38 Red 60 Yellow 60 Blue 50 White 30 Green 20
1. Explain how all different types of engineers work together in teams and that each of them contributes a different form of expertise to the project.
2. Distribute engineering design handout while dividing the girls into groups of 3 or 4 depending on the number of girls in the group.
3. Go through design handout explaining problem to be solved using the steps on the handout.
a. Problem Statement - to build the highest free standing structure4. After building is complete, compliment each group efforts individually by making a positive comment about their structure and reminding them that there are numerous solutions to every problem.
b. Look at Materials - K'nex kits
c. Develop Strategy - Look at pieces see how they work and what you can do with them
d. Predict Result - What would you like your structure to look like
e. Build and Rebuild
f. Measure and Report - will be done together at the end of the session
g. Observe - look at everyone's design and explain that there are a variety of correct solutions for every problem.
5. Leave the tallest structure standing for the group photo at the end
Note: All participants get in a group photo with the winning K'nex structures.
The photo is sent to the school as a momento of the day.
6. Ask the girls to take the other ones down and put the pieces away.